Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Happy 10 year anniversary, ya right.

So last week was our ten year wedding anniversary. Now most women love anniversaries and remember them fondly, but these women are not married to my husband. He is great, really he is, he sweeps, plays with the kids, earns a great income, doesn't ignore me for sports. These are all wonderful, but he doesn't have a romantic bone in his body. To him an anniversary is just another day. These are things he has said in the past on our anniversary. "I would have got you a gift but I was busy" once when our little boy was 2 weeks old and I had mastitis on our anniversary (which is about the most awful I have felt in my life), he got home from spending 10 hours on campus and said "happy anniversary here are your antibiotics, hahaha". Then there was the year that he thought going to see harry potter at the matinee was very romantic so lets go pick up the kids from the sitter. So as you can imagine we have gotten into a few slight tiffs on this day of days. So anyway this year he figured since he wanted to live he better make a big deal out of our ten year. So I have to give him credit he did great. Reserved a room for us at a bed and breakfast, took me out to a fabulously yummy dinner. The next morning we did some Christmas shopping and headed for the matinee after which we were going to go to a new restaurant for lunch. Oh and he even saw a chick flick for me. So anyway we are at the movie "Enchanted" and I am munching away on my movie theatre popcorn, because lets face it there is no way on earth I am going to make it from8:00 to 1:00 without food, when I start to feel sick. This is unfortunately pretty normal for me right now, that's right I am 13 1/2 weeks and I still feel nauseated every day. So as the movie goes on I am feeling more and more sick. Then there is this scene in the movie where rats are washing dishes with their tails, I think most people would think this was funny but I wanted to die, I had to close my eyes it was so disgusting to watch in the condition I was in. Anyway a few minutes later I was in the bathroom seriously considering getting rid of all the popcorn in me. These were my thoughts "oh my gosh I hate throwing up soooooo much" then "wait a minute my sister who is pregnant just threw up last week and assured me that morning sickness throwing up is much easier than stomach flu throwing up". I am trying to believe this but I have very fresh memories of the stomach flu last Christmas when most of the 25 people in my family got the stomach flu while we were all together, it was rather unpleasant but hey no one gained weight that Christmas, we all threw everything up or were too afraid eat for fear that we would be next. Any way these are my thoughts in the bathroom. Eventually it didn't matter what I thought cause my stomach was going to have nothing to do with that popcorn anymore. So I threw up then threw up more, and more, and more, and more, you get the picture, unfortunately. The whole time I was throwing up I kept thinking "my sister lied, this is as awful as the flu". I felt awful, my eyes were tearing like crazy, my stomach and throat hurt and my head started to pound and I only felt a little better. So after the movie when we were supposed to go out to our fun lunch I went home and took a nap and my husband picked up the kids. Later that day I figured I had a few more of those flu symptoms, so it wasn't morning sickness after all but the full blown stomach flu. So my sister probably is right about the morning sickness throwing up thing and I can tell you that having the flu while being pregnant is really not all that great. Also I think we are just not meant to have these great wonderful anniversaries, all though to be fair the dinner and bed and breakfast were great and my husband was so wonderful for the rest of the weekend to take care of everything so I didn't ever have to get out of bed. So maybe anniversaries and romance are overrated, or maybe we need to celebrate our anniversary on a different day of the year so the anniversary curse can't strike.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

'happy anniversary, here are your antibiotics'...stomach flu for the family at christmas...karen, your life is soooo much better than fiction!!! hahahahah!