Monday, November 12, 2007

joys and concerns

The other day my kindergartner came up to me and said "mom, my joy is that I have basketball next week and my concern is that I hit my head on the wall in the shower" "okay" I said with a very confused look on my face. My 8 year old quickly explained that in his kindergarten class the teacher asks them every day if they have any joys or concerns. So now it made a lot more sense. So the other day his joys and concerns went like this "mom, my joy is that I have basketball in three more days and my concern is that I have to wait three days for basketball". He really likes basketball. So anyway it got me to thinking that maybe I should post some of my joys (since anger was getting a little depressing) so here goes. My big joy the other day was ... you guessed it, grocery shopping. Now this also brings up some concerns, namely the whole weight gain thing. I am ten weeks along and have gained 6 pounds, not bad but not good either. When I started out I had all these optimistic thoughts like "I will eat right, I will exercise every day" you read in those pregnancy books "you should only gain two pounds in the first trimester" whatever, who are these women who are only gaining two pounds. Whenever I read that I want to throw the book out the window, or maybe at one of those skinny pregnant women. Anyway, this post is supposed to be about my joys so I apologize for getting a little to "concerny". Anyway I had all these grand plans and ideas, then I started feeling sick a couple of weeks ago and it all went out the window. So I figure if you feel like puking every day you shouldn't have to feel guilty about anything. So I enjoyed my grocery shopping. I walked into super Walmart with a gleam in my eye, the whole store before me, yummy food ready to fall into my shopping cart and I indulged myself. Now all you normal non-pregnant people out there are probably imagining all sorts of delicacies falling into my cart (or as many delicacies as can be found at such an illustrious place as super Walmart) like fillet Mignon, king crab legs, spinach salads, and ben and jerrys ice cream. However it isn't like that, I am craving much different things. These are the items I was very excited about:

pop can crescent rolls
lunchables
frozen mini quiches
canned soup
sausage for breakfast burritos
frozen chinese food
cheap sandwich bread for toasting
frozen twiced baked potatoes (these are so good especially cause they are yummy microwaved so you don't even have to wait like with a lot of frozen food)

So I put all these things in my cart and I am just wishing it was dinner every night right away so that I could eat them all. It really made me very happy, so there is my latest joy. I hope I have brought some joy into your lives and encouraged you to give into a random craving, pregnant or not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Karen, after Dad read all your blogs on anger he asked me, "Is Karen OK?" I said yes, I just called her and she is fine she was just venting....I had to laugh at Dad on that one...he is mr. cool all the time and then he just sort of melts....like when Steph was on her mission, he was way worried every day but never said too very much to me....enjoy your food...the nice thing about cravings is that you just want them, not all your usual food and the cravings too...so instead of eating three meals for the day you eat 7 hot dogs and a pint of ice cream and sleep alot and feel pretty good...the body is supposed to be acting like this so insanity over food is fairly normal...I read that it is evolutions way of making sure you eat only safe foods so you limit youself to a few after you eat them and your body does not respond in a bad way and the brain says, hey this will not kill me to harm me or my baby in any way...ain't nature wonderful. Love you.

Meredith said...

this blog is my joy.

Leslie said...

I am concerned that food brings me too much joy! What's my excuse for indulging if I'm not pregnant??

Anonymous said...

Karen Meredith is one of those people who only gains two pounds! We should you should get to throw a book at her the next time we get together that would make me laugh. (not to see you get hit mere, just to see karen live up to her blog) haha

Meredith said...

for your information, i gained 40 pounds with alisa! so there!:):)