Thursday, May 15, 2008

it is 4:50 am and all is NOT well

I am really tired, but here I am writing a blog. Is it because I am so devoted to blogging and getting the real life experiences of a crazy pregnant woman out there for the world to see? No, it is because of my stupid nerves, and when I say nerves I am not referring to the stage fright kind, I mean come on what pregnant woman is afraid to sleep. Next to toaster waffles sleep is my best friend. No I can't sleep due to those little nerve endings found throughout the body. Well apparently there are a lot of these nerve endings in the armpits and the nerves in my right armpit have decided to take exception to having the life squeezed out of them by swollen lymph nodes, increased blood flow through the blood vessels and the increased size of other parts of my body if you get my drift. So this is how pretty much every night goes. I go to bed around nine because I am super tired, then about two hours later I wake up for the first bathroom trip and and this point my arm is usually numb, not asleep and pins and needley, but numb. So I get back in bed, prop my pillow under my arm and go back to sleep. Around two I usually wake up for my next bathroom trip and my arm has moved on to a dull pain which is usually alleviated by walking around a bit and getting a drink. Then four o'clock comes and the misery starts. This is when I am woken up not by my bladder but by the burning pain felt all throughout my right arm. So I try the usual go to the bathroom, get a drink. When I get back in bed and lay on my side, apparently laying on the side puts all the wrong pressure on the nerves, and boom the pain is back immediately. So I try propping my assortment of pillows around me in different configurations, sticking my arm straight above my head, hanging my arm off of the side of the bed. I have even thought of trying to hang something from the ceiling that would hold my arm up in the air, kind of like when a broken leg is in traction. Nothing works! So I bawled my head off about it to my doctor the other day cause I am sooooo tired! She referred me to a physical therapist saying they might have some exercises I can do to make it feel better, but as much as I complain I think I will just tough it out. Seeing a physical therapist means making an appointment and organizing baby sitting, so in other words it means making an effort which I am so not good at right now. Plus the good news of the whole appt is that they are going to induce me a week early since I have gigantor babies so now instead of having 3 weeks and a couple of days left I have 2 weeks and a couple of days left. That seems a lot more doable on no sleep. I do find that I am looking forward to having the baby cause I really think I will sleep better. I also think I need to start taking naps whenever I get a chance whether it is 9:30 AM or 5:00 PM. I mean I am having a baby I should just say goodbye now to a normal sleep schedule, and that is why I am blogging at 5 AM.

3 comments:

Steph said...

My right arm goes numb too, like you said, not pins and needles, but just numb. Its creepy!!!!

Luckily my baby sleeps transverse in my tummy, so she never pushes on my bladder at night!! :)

L.Smith said...

Sweet karen, it will all be over soon and I think you were the first to tell me that you are not pregnant forever, but that comment never really seemed to help a whole lot in the end. I can't wait to see the next Eldredge addition!! Any names?.....

Anonymous said...

Ouch that sound very painful. But looking at the bright side... It will all be over soon.